Parkinson's Disease Fact Sheet
- Parkinson's disease (PD) is a progressive disorder of the nervous system that affects movement.
- As many as 1 million Americans have PD.
- About 50,000 Americans are diagnosed with Parkinson's disease each year.
- The average age of onset is 60 years.
- One in 10 people with PD are diagnosed before age 40.
- The risk of developing PD increases with age.
- Parkinson's disease is slightly more common in men than in women.
- While there is no cure for PD, many different types of medicines can treat its symptoms.
- Although it causes disability, PD does not appear to significantly shorten lifespan.